"Hysterical, campy fun!"
- Tony Brown, cleveland.com

"Full of suspense, romance, drama and lots of laughs!"

- Dan Shaurette, Out of the Coffin podcast

This extraordinary one-act drama deftly explores the evolution of the centuries-old vampire myth.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Anticipation

We gathered this afternoon to rehearse tomorrow's reading.

The Playwrights Unit meets once every two weeks during "the season" (September to May) to share 10 pages of whatever it is we are working on. If we want a period of time devoted to a single, complete work, then that is scheduled for another time, usually between regular meetings.

The playwright is responsible for putting together the actors, the stage direction reader, a director if necessary though in most cases, at this stage we are our own directors. SG can help if we need suggestions.

I have seen readings at the table, or stood up with music stands in the case of musicals with a live piano player. They are as fancy as we wanna be.

So today Brian (older man), Chris (younger man), Caitlin (woman) and Cat (stage directions) and I read through the play. It was a matter of making sure all was clear, that it was going to be "sold" properly to the assembled.

Not that I need to sell it to anyone, it's pretty much a done deal - it will be done. But I need frank feedback on what works, what does not, what is unnecessary, the length, etc. We could not get duration today, not with the starting, stopping and background. Daniel will be present, and Andrew, who will direct. Others from the office have been invited, a designer, our marketing guy. I do not know if they will show.

I know DM will attend, and SG. I have confirmation from ES as well, the others I do not know. This is the first time I have had a special scheduled reading for a new work. And this is fabulous. Last spring, I did not believe I could ever write anything ever again.

No comments: