"Hysterical, campy fun!"
- Tony Brown, cleveland.com

"Full of suspense, romance, drama and lots of laughs!"

- Dan Shaurette, Out of the Coffin podcast

This extraordinary one-act drama deftly explores the evolution of the centuries-old vampire myth.

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Dusk

Okay, here's some nice Twilight cakes.

"It's cute." That's the first thing SG said when we reached the end. I think I deserved that.

The fourth arc was read by the Unit today. The overall reaction was positive, I received a few comments, primarily from SG, regarding the piece as a whole.

The comments that surfaced last session, after we read The Interview, were reinforced this time. Why does the contemporary stuff work better, feel more original, are simply more enjoyable? The answer may - be because they are contemporary, accessible.

Maybe I need to make the language of the earlier pieces more modern ... but the point is to share the flavor of literature at that time. Maybe the later pieces should be less original, more like their source material ...

Another observation was on how much commenting is done in the second two pieces, there is little or no commentary in the earlier ones (this cannot be true, The Count has its tongue firmly in cheek.)

The Narrator, whose agenda is a secret until the end, may need to be more obviously contemporary, from the beginning, for this to fly.

Regarding the final arc, The Dusk ... First off, SG noted that Eddie's revelation that he is a vampire has no mystery, it comes too quickly and easily.

I have to check the book again. I think it comes pretty quickly and easily there, too. Right? I mean, he doesn't try and kill Bella, she doesn't catch him feeding off an antelope ... she figures it out, confronts him, he admits it. Am I missing something? I mean, I am agreeing with SG here, there is no mystery - it's TWILIGHT.

DM was tipped off as to who Lucy is by her last name, but most missed it. So I'm sticking with it.

FS thinks North Pole, Alaska is a silly sounding location. I think she's right.

No comments: