"Hysterical, campy fun!"
- Tony Brown, cleveland.com

"Full of suspense, romance, drama and lots of laughs!"

- Dan Shaurette, Out of the Coffin podcast

This extraordinary one-act drama deftly explores the evolution of the centuries-old vampire myth.

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Gettin' kinda Kinski



SPOILER ALERT!

One of the central twists in Murnau's Nosferatu is how the vampire is not chased down by the men (as in Stoker's novel) but rather lured to the Mina character's chamber as she offers herself as a sacrifice to save the larger community.

To make this even more obvious, I thought I remembered Murnau having Orlock almost escape with the encroaching daylight, but that Mina drew him back to her to make sure the job was finished. However, upon my last viewing of Nosferatu I was confused to discover that this is not the case.

Because that's from Werner Herzog's 1979 Nosferatu the Vampire! Ah-HA!

This is the cource for a pivotal moment in Dark Side ... though whether or not the lady's intentions are entirely pure are left to interpretation.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

How I love Herzog! Who else would dump a truckload of rats on a town? Who else would steal hundreds of monkeys from an anthropological team and then lose them? I used to see him at my coffee shop in Hollywood. I once thanked him for his work. Quoth Werner, "You're a film buff?" I said, "Actually, I just shot a short." He replied, "I just shot a feature, it's called 'The Mystery of Loch Ness.'" I thought, "Yeah, and my name is Nobody and your name is Werner Herzog, ya insecure loon." But I didn't say that.